Disaster Recovery Resources
RESOURCES AND INFORMATION IN THE WAKE OF THE 2019/2020 BUSHFIRES (7 JANUARY 2020)
If you or someone you know needs support, the following free services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week:
- Mental Health Line – 1800 011 511
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Mensline – 1300 789 978
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
- Beyondblue – 1300 22 4636
Visit the National Bushfire Recovery Agency for the latest updates.
To support relief and recovery following a declared natural disaster, a range of assistance measures are available. Current LGA declarations are available at raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster-
- Disaster recovery grants of up to $15,000 are available to eligible primary producers, small businesses and not-for-profit organisations – raa.nsw.gov.au/grants/
- Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short term payment (up to 13 weeks) to help individuals if a declared disaster directly affects their income. Contact Centrelink on 13 28 50 or see humanservices.gov.au/
Note: in some circumstances employers may stand down employees if the reason for the stand down is outside the employer’s control, such as a natural disaster. Small businesses should check the relevant award, agreement or employment contract.
- Natural disaster relief loans are available in declared LGA’s – raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster-
- The ATO has identified impacted postcodes and automatically granted deferrals for lodgements and payments due –ato.gov.au/Individuals/
Dealing-with-disasters/In- detail/Specific-disasters/ Bushfires-2019-20/. If a business has been affected by this disaster and needs assistance, or the business is affected but is outside the listed postcodes, they can call the ATO Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218.
- People affected by the bushfires can claim disaster payments by calling Services Australia (Centrelink) on 180 22 66 and find more information at humanservices.gov.au/
Additional assistance for farmers
- Fire affected landholders in NSW requiring emergency fodder are being urged to call the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647. For further information see dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-
- Developed by the National Farmers’ Federation and funded by the Commonwealth Government, FarmHub is a one-stop shop for details on assistance with fodder, water, transport, everyday living expenses, health and more – farmhub.org.au/explore-
assistance/. Bushfire assistance contacts and resources are being updated regularly – farmhub.org.au/live- bushfire-assistance-key- contacts/.
- A reminder also for drought-related assistance information – dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-and-
- Small business bushfire support factsheet: smallbusiness.nsw.
gov.au/get-help/small- business-bushfire-support- january-2020(attached).
- Get back to business – a guide to recovering from disaster is a step-by-step recovery guide for business owners – most useful information begins on page 12, Early Recovery (attached).
- Lifeline Toolkit – Getting through floods, drought and extreme climate events (attached).
- Insurance claims for small business guide helps small business owners in the recovery phase.
- Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website – disasterassist.gov.au
- NSW emergency information and response website – emergency.nsw.gov.au
Related – Bushfires and scams
Factsheet - Support for fire-affected small businesses - 6 January 2020
Get back to business - a guide to recovering from disaster
Opens: 12th of January 2021 - 10:00 amCloses: 5th of March 2021 - 5:00 pmValue: $5,000 to $1 MillionRun By: Australian Government Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications The Community Investments Stream will fund new or...
CALLING FOR APPLICATIONS: CHAIR RDA FAR SOUTH COAST From 2021, RDA Chairs will lead their committees under a refreshed charter that focuses their role on driving investment and local procurement opportunities and through this, creating jobs and economic growth for our...
While many Australian businesses are having to make tough decisions in the wake of the pandemic, The Defence Force is one of the few employers expanding its workforce. In June, Scott Morrison committed to spending $270 billion over the next 10 years on defence...
Southland Set to Take Local Stories to the Screen TEN young aspiring filmmakers will gain the opportunity to tell their stories of the South Coast, after a Culburra Beach start-up won a coveted Screenrights Cultural Fund grant this month. Southland Creative — a...