Disaster Recovery Resources
RESOURCES AND INFORMATION IN THE WAKE OF THE 2019/2020 BUSHFIRES (7 JANUARY 2020)
If you or someone you know needs support, the following free services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week:
- Mental Health Line – 1800 011 511
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Mensline – 1300 789 978
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
- Beyondblue – 1300 22 4636
Visit the National Bushfire Recovery Agency for the latest updates.
To support relief and recovery following a declared natural disaster, a range of assistance measures are available. Current LGA declarations are available at raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster-
- Disaster recovery grants of up to $15,000 are available to eligible primary producers, small businesses and not-for-profit organisations – raa.nsw.gov.au/grants/
- Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short term payment (up to 13 weeks) to help individuals if a declared disaster directly affects their income. Contact Centrelink on 13 28 50 or see humanservices.gov.au/
Note: in some circumstances employers may stand down employees if the reason for the stand down is outside the employer’s control, such as a natural disaster. Small businesses should check the relevant award, agreement or employment contract.
- Natural disaster relief loans are available in declared LGA’s – raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster-
- The ATO has identified impacted postcodes and automatically granted deferrals for lodgements and payments due –ato.gov.au/Individuals/
Dealing-with-disasters/In- detail/Specific-disasters/ Bushfires-2019-20/. If a business has been affected by this disaster and needs assistance, or the business is affected but is outside the listed postcodes, they can call the ATO Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218.
- People affected by the bushfires can claim disaster payments by calling Services Australia (Centrelink) on 180 22 66 and find more information at humanservices.gov.au/
Additional assistance for farmers
- Fire affected landholders in NSW requiring emergency fodder are being urged to call the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647. For further information see dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-
- Developed by the National Farmers’ Federation and funded by the Commonwealth Government, FarmHub is a one-stop shop for details on assistance with fodder, water, transport, everyday living expenses, health and more – farmhub.org.au/explore-
assistance/. Bushfire assistance contacts and resources are being updated regularly – farmhub.org.au/live- bushfire-assistance-key- contacts/.
- A reminder also for drought-related assistance information – dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-and-
- Small business bushfire support factsheet: smallbusiness.nsw.
gov.au/get-help/small- business-bushfire-support- january-2020(attached).
- Get back to business – a guide to recovering from disaster is a step-by-step recovery guide for business owners – most useful information begins on page 12, Early Recovery (attached).
- Lifeline Toolkit – Getting through floods, drought and extreme climate events (attached).
- Insurance claims for small business guide helps small business owners in the recovery phase.
- Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website – disasterassist.gov.au
- NSW emergency information and response website – emergency.nsw.gov.au
Related – Bushfires and scams
Factsheet - Support for fire-affected small businesses - 6 January 2020
Get back to business - a guide to recovering from disaster
Food relief in NSW is available for people who are experiencing hardship and do not have the means to obtain their own groceries. This also applies to people who have been directed to self-isolate. Find out more information at Food-relief-services [pdf-embedder...
This fast-track TAFE NSW Statement in English for Employment (800-000357) is offered fee-free to skilled and overseas qualified professionals to prepare them for the Australian job market. Cost: This course is funded by the NSW Government and delivered by TAFE NSW to...
NSW businesses invited to join a new e-Commerce program in June 2021 On behalf of Investment NSW, Global Trade Professionals Alliance will facilitate a transformative capability development program for NSW businesses which is experiential and engaging, and includes:...
The OECD recently launched the Report: Linking Indigenous Communities with Regional Development in Australia – a copy of this report and further information is available at: Linking Indigenous Communities with Regional Development in Australia. The report provides...